We all have to face situations in our lives that we know are going to cause us a lot of anxiety. It might be an exam, travelling, operation, a family party or difficult work meeting. For those who already suffer from anxiety it can be very daunting to know that these dreaded situations are coming up.
I myself recently had my driving test to face, having failed it a few times and suffered huge amounts of anxiety the last time, I knew I had to come up with a plan to overcome what I knew was coming!
Having a plan to minimise anxiety certainly helped me manage the situation, here is what I learnt:
- Minimise other stressful things, just focus on one anxiety making thing at a time
- Reach out and ask for help and support, I let close friends know how I was feeling
- Take care of your diet and get as much rest and relaxation as you can
- Find ways to distract your anxious mind, audio books work for me
- I always found time for my mediation, even though it was the last thing I wanted to do!
- Nurture a kind inner coach who can help you by speaking supportively
- Try not to listen to your inner critical voice, its going to play up be aware of that!
- Finally when it is done, celebrate don’t look back and ruminate.
I realise that whilst those of us with anxiety might need a bit more support during anxiety making situations, we are just as able as others to challenge ourselves, we just need the right support.
Yes I did pass my driving test and I like to believe it was worth all the stress!